Kale with Grilled Sausages and White Beans
- 4 links Italian pork or turkey sausage, sweet or hot
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bunches baby kale, stemmed, or 2 large bunches regular kale, stemmed, sliced in ½ inch ribbons
- ½ cup each, white wine, water
- 1 can (14 ounces) white beans, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
Prepare grill for medium high heat. Grill sausages, until done, 5-8 minutes. (Or brown in skillet on stove until cooled through) Slice in ½ inch rounds. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Add kale, wine and a half cup or so water, if needed. (You may need to add the kale in batches, allowing the first batch to cook down a bit to make room for the rest.) Stir to coat kale; season with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until kale wilts, 6 minutes. Stir in beans, and sun–dried tomatoes; cook until heated through, 5 minutes. Serve topped with the grilled sausage.
Recipe published in the Hartford Courant July 2012